In Loving Memory
In Loving Memory

                  Michael Henry Martin

Michael Henry Martin, 79, of Richland passed away on Thursday evening, April 24th, 2020, at Kadlec Medical Center from a short bout with COVID-19. Mike, or "Mickey", or "Mick" was born January 14, 1941 in Terre Haute, Indiana, the 3rd of 6 children to Henry and Margaret Martin. Mike grew up in Sunnyside, the family moved to Kennewick in 1958 where he graduated from KHS ('59). He married Elizabeth "Sally" Phipps in 1961, then moved to Pasco in 1964 where they raised 3 children Molly, Michael, and John. Family always came first for Mike and Sally and as grandparents, Mike and Sally loved to spoil their grandchildren. They made every attempt to attend all their children and grandchildren's events including concerts, games, presentations. In their later years, the calendar was set by activities surrounding the grandkids and then right on schedule came the great-grandkids. They brought so much joy to their lives. By trade, Mike was a journeyman carpenter and steamfitter, working mostly through UA Local 598 in Pasco. He seldom talked about the work except to relay a story about the people he worked with. Mike cared very much about relationships and always took the time to foster those relationships by setting the right example. It contributed to him being a very popular foreman, general-foreman and superintendent on all his jobs. Mike is survived by his 3 children, 11 grandchildren, and 8 great-grandchildren. He is preceded in death by his wife, Sally, brother, Doyle, and a great-grandchild. Due to social distancing requirements his Celebration of Life will take place sometime this summer. We will send notification to friends and family regarding timing. Mike's family would like to thank essential workers, first-responders, and all hospital employees for their contributions and sacrifices in combatting this horrible virus. A special thank you goes out to the staff of Kadlec Medical Center for making us and our father comfortable through his passing.



              Anita Berk Doncaster

E. Anita "Susie" Berk Doncaster, 78, of Yakima died May 9th in Yakima.

She was born in Sunnyside, and was a long time Sunnyside and Yakima resident.

She was a retired teacher.

Smith Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements.


                   Arthur Irving Driscoll Jr.

September 11, 1941 – May 11, 2020
Loving husband, Father of two, Grandfather, Great Grandfather, and War Veteran turned Cowboy and friend. 
Art was born September 11, 1941, to Arthur Sr. and Helen Driscoll in Rhode Island. He passed peacefully from a long goodbye with Alzheimer’s at “Caring First” home in Lynnwood, Washington. Special thanks to his caretakers, Jared, Stanley, and the Hospice Angel on Earth workers that were with him until the end. 
In 1949 Art at the age of 8, his brother, Mark at age 5, and youngest brother, David age 2 left Rhode Island on a three week journey to reside in Sunnyside in Eastern Washington. 
In 1957, Arthur Sr. left Hanford to move the family to Ballard, Washington. It was there Art first met Joyce, at MYF, Methodist Youth Fellowship Camp. In 1959 they started dating. 
In 1962 they parted when Joyce went off to college at Central Washington University in Ellensburg, Washington. Art simultaneously joined the military. He was stationed first at the White House as a guard. Following several months he was redeployed to Germany for two years. When Art got notice that his assignment would end moving him to Fort Lewis, Washington, he phoned Joyce to see if she had married. The International operator who connected the lines extended the heartwarming phone call that reignited a relationship. Art returned to Washington rekindling the relationship that led to a beautiful marriage. Art and Joyce wed at Trinity United Methodist Church in Ballard, Washington on May 29, 1964. 
Art was redeployed soon after being married to Vietnam. For the newlyweds this was not easy and they wrote often. 
When Art returned he started working for the City of Seattle doing electrical repair. On September 5, 1967, Art began as an Apprentice working for Seattle City Light. He worked up the ladder to Journeyman Electrician, and retired as a Crew Chief on January 14, 1994. He returned on a Consultative basis teaching the New Hire apprenticeship program. He was liked by many. At Art’s retirement party his kids learned of his work nick name, laughingly not to be mentioned. Art was known to make his specialty omelets for the office workers every year at Christmas time. Art and Joyce also hosted his office counterparts and crew out at the farm for a barbecue. Art carpooled almost two decades with two gentlemen, who became dear friends and like family. 
Holly Anne was born on December 29, 1966 nine months after Art returned from Vietnam. She was born in a Quonset hut in Fort Huachuca, Arizona. Holly shares the same birth date as Art’s brother, Mark and his Father, Arthur Sr. 
Art’s second child, Todd Vincent was born June 15, 1970. Todd arrived three weeks early. He was small, only 17 inches and weighing 4 lbs. 12oz. 
Over the course of his life, Art had two children, Holly and Todd, 1 grandchild, Alyssa, and 1 great grandson, Finn. He dearly loved his New Zealand, Eastern and Western Washington, London, Kentucky, Arizona and California based families. He always wanted more time with them and treasured the time he had. With the progression of Alzheimer’s he sadly never got to know his great grandson, Finn. 
Art had many interests and hobbies. He enjoyed motorcycle riding. He and Joyce would take weekend rides with a roll of toilet paper mounted to the seat. He bought Todd his first motorcycle at age 5 from Larry Ward Sr., whose son Larry soon became a famous dirt bike rider. 
He loved boxing. So much so you didn’t want to sit next to him with his body swaying and punch jabs going here and there. His favorite was Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard. The kids were subjected to watching a good match each and every time one was on. 
When Art’s viewpoint on horses moved from hay-burners to joining Holly in horsemanship clinics, that’s when Art turned Cowboy. He took up cow cutting and showed in competitions in Cow Cutting and in halter. He was able to win some monetary prizes for his abilities. 
Art loved boating in the San Juan Islands where they honeymooned. He and Joyce built their first boat, “The We Donnit”. They continued boating each and every year staying on Orcas Island, in the San Juans. He loved crabbing, fishing and all the good fish tales that went along with it. One story stands out. Art and brother in-law Dale McDaniel were out along lovers cover of Orcas Island when their skiff was raised out of the water by an Orca Whale. That is one of the largest true fish tales ever told. 
In the early 70’s, over an ad for baby ducks, Art and Joyce met John and Helen McMahon. Over the course of Art’s life, they became family, an adopted father figure and grandfather. This particular story is a true keepsake. One year with other fellas Art and John McMahon were up in the Blue Mountains hunting Elk, it was winter at the time and snow was commonplace, but on this trip it was a true winter storm at a very high elevation and was ridiculously deep and falling fast. Art was out alone in the woods when the storm hit that morning. Throughout the day he tried finding his way to camp with no luck, firing his 30.06 rifle from time to time hoping he could be heard and was fearful he wouldn’t be found and was on the verge of giving up. Meanwhile, John McMahon and a couple of his sons are in their Jeep doing their best to maneuver through the mountains and snow to find Art, every once in a while stopping and yelling his name. They too were about to give up and head back to camp, its pitch black out and the snow is continuing to amass. On the last attempt before they head back, John had out his blessed old Irish rosary that he had through the majority of his life and said a prayer. Minutes after, he got out of the jeep and thought he saw something in the distance, and he yelled, “Art, is that you?” It was and he was found and pulled into the Jeep where they headed back to camp and focused on getting Art well. Throughout the years, every time John would come to visit, as a greeting he’d say, “Art, is that you?” Art would smile every time hearing those words from his friend and give him a big hug, quietly remembering this near life changing event, and soon after sharing some good 18 year old scotch and they’d tell stories for hours and hours.
Art had a relationship with the Lord. He had a big Irish heart and loved his Irish roots, Irish music, country music, Neil Diamond and an ice cold beer and a good Scotch. 
He loved his Frederick and Nelson train set that he staged around the living room every year at Christmas time. Joyce made custom cars for it and it was a highlight staging piece for the Holidays. Santa left his favorite Scotch in one car every year, and family all knew who that was for.
Art was preceded in death by his Mother, Helen Driscoll, Father, Arthur Driscoll Sr., Father in-law, Vince Nelson, Mother in-law, Marjorie Nelson, Sister in-law, Dora Driscoll, Cousin, Dick Caldwell, Cousin, Wayne Hall, Cousin, Marilyn Hall, and Brother in-law, Dale McDaniel.
He is survived by Wife, Joyce Driscoll, Daughter, Holly Ihrig, Son, Todd Driscoll, Daughter in-law, Denise Driscoll, Son in-law, Mark Ihrig, Granddaughter, Alyssa Quam, Grandson, Colton Quam, and Great Grandson, Finn Quam, Step Granddaughter, Kara Ihrig, Step Grandson, Tyler Ihrig, Brother, Mark Driscoll, Brother, David Driscoll, Brother in-law, Dale Grothe, Sister in-law, Doris Grothe, Sister in-law, Carolyn Davis, Brother in-law, Julius Davis, Sister in-law, Malvene and siblings. 
A celebration of his life will be intimate. By Art’s wishes his ashes will be sprinkled in the San Juan Islands and on Joyce and Art’s property.


Sort by:

Richard [Dick] Denson

August 23rd, 1941 - January 3rd, 2018


Richard Forest Denson, age 76, of Sunnyside, WA passed away on Wenesday, January 3, 2018 in Sunnside.  Richard was born on August 23, 1941 in Pampa, TX the son of Elsie H (Flieschacker) and Mark B. Denson.

Richard received his education in Sunnyside, WA and graduated with the Sunnyside High School class of 1959.  He later attended University of Washington for four years.  Richard then served in the United States Air Force for four years.

Following his Military Service Dick spent four years in Europe attending Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich and while in college he worked for the MAN Bus Company.

Richard returned to the United States where he married Lynnea K. Anderson in Seattle, WA.

In 1971 Richard was in an automobile accidnt and returned to Sunnyside for his rehabilitation.  In 1974 he later started a custom combining business.  For the next eighteen years, Richard and his nephew Jim Weber operated D & D Food distributing.  After selling D & D Food distribution Richard and Jim owned and operated the Blue Goose Restaurant in Prosser until 2006.  He went into retirement for a short period, before managing the kitchen at Snipes Brewery in Sunnyside from 2009 to 2013.

Richard enjoyed exotic ccars, Formula One Racing, cooking, camping and traveling throughout Europe.  He also enjoyed cooking for the Hospice Auctions.

He is survived by one nephew, Jim Weber of Sunnyside.  One brother Don Denson (Becky) of Kennewick, WA, two sister-in-laws Onetta Denson of Richland Wa and Linda Denson of Sunnyside. He is also survived by his former wife, Lynnea K. Anderson of Seattle and numerous nieces and nephews.

Richard is preceded in death by his parents Elsie and Mark Denson, two brothers Bill and Claude Denson.

Graveside Funeral Service were held on Thursday, January 18, 2018 at 1:00p.m. at the  Lower Valley Memorial Gardens in Sunnyside. Washington.


Daniel Sutphin

January 4th, 1941 - October 26th, 2016


Daniel R. Sutphin of Lake of the Woods, Locust Grove, Va, passed away on October 26, 2016 at Mary Washington Hospital after a courageous battle with lung cancer.  He was 75 years old and born in Outlook, WA.
A long time resident of Lake of the Woods, he was the son of the late Ralph E. Sutphin and Lou Sutphin. Brother to the late William Sutphin and the Shirlee Sutphin Olson and also a 1959 graduate of Sunnyside High School in Sunnyside Wa.  Dan was a graduate of Eastern Washington State University .  He was part of the Department of the Army's Old Guard at Fort Myer.  Later he was an independent contractor and build single family homes for over 30 years in Virginia.  He was active in the Lake of the Woods Ski Club for over 20 years teaching the youngest how to ski.

Dan was survived by are his loviing wife of 44 years, Linda L. Sutphin of Locust Grove VA; Three sons, JP Sutphin and his wife Kathy of Washington DC.  Eric A Sutphin and his wife Elena of Locust Grove, VA and Zachery E. Sutphin , Locust Grove, VA; a niece, Heather McGuire of Renton, WA and a nephew, Richard Olson of SeaTac WA.

A celebration of life was held at Sunday, November 6, at 1:30 p.m. at the Lake of the Woods Church. A reception followed in the Friendship Hall.

His wife wrote:  Dan was diagnosed in February with Stage IV Small Cell Lung Cancer. He did 29 days of radiation in August and September.  On the  last day of radiation he entered the hospital with pneumonia and blood clots in both lungs. He had COPD and that complicated things.  He spent 6 days in the hospital and we thought he was on the rode to recovery but on October 24, he was too weak to call Rescue, but once back in the hospital in ICU he was sedated and on a respirator until he passed away peacefully.


Robert Torres

May 31st, 1940 - April 9th, 2016



 Our dad, Robert J Torres, was born on May 31st 1940 and peacefully began his journey to Heaven, to be with his Savior Jesus Christ, on April 9th 2016. Dad was the 2nd oldest of 14 children born to Guadalupe and Joan Torres. He was born in Torrington WY and moved to Sunnyside WA as a young child. Music was a big part of his family's lives and at the age of 18, he and his older brother Nick helped to form a band called The Checkers, in which Dad played the bass. Their band was featured in a book published in 2007 titled "Music In Washington, Seattle and Beyond". In 1959 Dad joined the Air Force and was stationed in Okinawa. Following his 4 years in the Air Force, he moved to Pasco WA where he raised his family, including his son Bobby and daughters Shelly and Jacque. He was head of maintenance for the Pasco School District for many years before briefly moving on to the Benton City School District. He ultimately left the schools to run his own business full time, B&R Hardwood Floors. Dad was a story teller and could make everyone laugh with his tales. Dad made fast friends with anyone he would meet. He had a contagious laugh, a huge smile and a loving and generous heart. Dad loved to give gifts and celebrate the holidays. He was an active member of the Eagles Chapter in Pasco. He loved to play pool, pull tabs and slot machines. He was lucky as the day is long and always seemed to walk away a winner. Summers were spent at Williams Lake and Wallow Lake, where according to Dad, he always caught the biggest and the most fish. He was musically gifted and owned many guitars. He loved hosting BBQs for his family and invited all 13 siblings and their families. He made the best BBQ chicken and pork ribs. His brothers would bring their guitars and they would play and sing late into the night. Dad adored his family. Dad suffered some health issues over the years, and thankfully his younger brother Raymond was generous and loving enough to donate a kidney to him in 2005, giving us an additional 11 years with our dad that we would not have otherwise had. Dad fought hard through his illnesses right up until he peacefully passed on to reunite with his parents and his brother Nick. Bob is survived by his children; son Bobby Torres, daughter and son-n-law Shelly and Mike Meyer, and daughter and son-in-law Jacque and Danny Thomas, his grandsons; Christopher Torres, Garrett Meyer and Ryan Thomas, and his granddaughter Spencer Thomas. He is also survived by 6 brothers and 6 sisters. We would like to thank Dad's sister Rosie and brother- in-law Sam Saenz, for the time they spent with him in the Portland VA hospital when we could not be there with him. We would also like to thank his special friend, Iona  Biehl( Carswell) for being a memorable part of his life, and for being so helpful and comforting to dad during his stay in hospice. And finally, a big thank you to the staff at the Tri City Chaplaincy Hospice center for their loving treatment of our dad, and helping to make our final days with him so special. There will not be a funeral service at the request of our dad, but there will be a celebration of life party in his honor. The date and place will be announced at a later date. Bob Torres was one of a kind! He will be greatly missed but never forgotten. Dad...We know you are playing the guitar and planning a big BBQ in heaven. We love you Dad and will always hold you in our hearts.



Peggy Boggs

June 28th, 1941 - June 27th, 2015


Peggy May Boggs, 73, Sunnyside, died Saturday June 27, 2015 in Sunnyside.  She was born June 28, 1941, in Lebanon, Mo., the daughter of William and Dorothy V. (Murrell) Boggs.  She is survived by one sister, Mary Boggs of Yakima and two brothers, Jerry Boggs of Prosser and Earnest Boggs of Hermiston, OR and numerous nieces and nephews. 

Graveside services were held Friday, July 3, 2015 at 10:00 at the Lower Valley Memorial Gardens in Sunnyside.


Dennis Korevaar

November 5th, 1040 - November 11th, 2013


What Dennis Korevaar would like you to know most is that he was a hard worker; liked helping others; always tried his best and, most importantly, that he would have loved to have done it all again! What his family wants to share is what a giving, supportive, respected man he was and how much we will miss him everyday.
Not even a week after his 73rd birthday Dennis lost his very short fight with pancreatic cancer. He passed away in the early morning hours of Monday, Nov. 11, 2013.
Dennis Arthur Korevaar was born Nov. 5, 1940 in Goldendale, the son of proud parents, Theresa “Tess” (Steinbacher) and Joseph Korevaar.
#In 1943 the family moved to Outlook, where Dennis’ sister, Katherine (Kathy) Ann was born in 1944, and where Dennis spent his youth.
The Korevaars had a farm in Outlook, and Dennis recalled it as being a great community to grow up in. He was active with his parents in 4-H, Boy Scouts and many other activities.
Dennis began school in first grade at Outlook Grade School. He described his elementary years as “fun filled,” his high school years as “experimental” and the year he spent at Y.V.C.C. as “ignored.” Among the best things about his early years was that he built many of his life long friendships and created some wonderful memories that he sincerely treasured throughout his lifetime.
Dennis or “Denny” as he was known in his youth was an ambitious and independent child. Described as a “young man in a hurry,” he began working at a very young age, performing the most physical or difficult jobs on local farms to earn money. No job was beneath him, nor was anything too difficult. He had the will, so he found the way. Likewise, since he earned his own way, he was always conservative with his money and set his goals carefully. Before he was 16, he already had his car bought, paid for and shined up ready to roll.
Shortly after turning 16, Dennis put that car to good use when he took a job working for the Dairy Herd Improvement Association. He worked there for three years, testing milk at 22 dairies each month. He said he appreciated this job because even though he had to work early hours, it gave him independence by allowing him to earn his own money year-round while in high school.
#Dennis served in the U.S. Air National Guard from 1960 to 1966 while working for Allwest Breeders from 1961 to 1967 as an artificial inseminator for local dairies and cattle breeders. This job provided more contact with local farmers and business people which was not only invaluable when he started in the insurance business but, Dennis claimed, it allowed him to facilitate the birth of some of the “cutest calves ever born!”
Beginning what would be his lifetime career with the Prudential Insurance Company of America in 1967, Dennis continued working for Prudential Financial Services to the day he died surpassing his official retirement by many years. He always said, “My clients are my friends and my friends are my clients,” so there was no way he could quit completely. He had a personal commitment to serve others in the best way possible. He believed in being prepared for the unexpected and also in people taking responsibility, so he believed in his product. He saw his job as a way to help people fulfill and hold onto their dreams and over his 46 years in the life insurance business he was able to do that for so many.
Dennis took his career seriously, working hard to further his education and increase his expertise in the insurance business. He was a lifetime member of Million Dollar Round Table (MDRT); the past President of the National Assoc. of Insurance and Financial Advisors (NAIFA) serving as an officer, committee chair and board member for more than 30 years; a member of National Assoc. of Life Underwriters (LUA) since 1967; was an active member of the Yakima Valley LUA starting in 1972 serving as president, officer and board member for more than 25 years and in 1989 he was recognized by the YVLUA as the “Agent of the Year.”
Dennis also studied hard early in his career to earn his Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU) designation from the American College of Financial Services which is a prestigious continuing education designation for individuals who specialize in life insurance and estate planning.
Assisting others was not limited to his employment. It was a way of life for Dennis. He showed people how he cared for them by how he lived his life, with honor, integrity and plain old hard work. Dennis volunteered for several charitable organizations over the years, including the United Way, St. Michael’s Episcopal Church Vestry, and Prudential’s National Spirit of Community which awarded scholarships to students and encouraged youth community service. Through his work and volunteering, many people witnessed Dennis’s values, but no one experienced them more clearly than his family.
Dennis married his love, Joyce (Waddell) Korevaar and the couple originally settled in Sunnyside, where they had two children, Debra (Debbie) Lynn in 1963 and Denise Korevaar in 1965. The family moved to Yakima in the summer of 1970.
Dennis worked very long hours to provide for his family, but as a family they also enjoyed many activities including boating, water skiing, camping and annual family vacations. Throughout the years, Dennis loved traveling and would try to take advantage of any opportunity for an adventure, even if it was a just a quick gaming trip to Nevada. In the last several years he generously treated his children and grandchildren to special excursions as well, providing some priceless memories. Other favorite memories were formed taking motorcycle trips with close friends, Harry Worbes and Lou Alderman. He loved seeing the countryside up close but spending time with family and life-long friends was something he enjoyed no matter what the activity.
It was really the people in his life that mattered and affected Dennis the most. It was having a loving family all his life, including his parents, his wife and daughters. While he had many accomplishments, he was most proud of having the love and respect of those he loved and for being dependable and responsible to family, friends and clients. He worked hard at being helpful; always looking for opportunities to do for others he cared about even if it meant sacrificing his own well-being. To his last breath, Dennis held to this standard, providing an excellent role model for his young grandsons of what a good Christian man should be: strong, polite, considerate, hard working and always respectful.
Dennis Korevaar was a very determined man, intent on doing the right thing as he saw it and, for that reason, Dennis will not be remembered like he had hoped, as someone who tried…but by all measures as one who definitely succeeded!
He is survived by his family: former wife and best friend, Joyce Korevaar; daughters, Debbie and Denise Korevaar; grandsons, Mackenzie and Joshua Korevaar-Dorsey and Jabriel Korevaar; and his sister, Kathy (Dale) Costin.
Dennis Korevaar was preceded in death by his parents, Joe and Tess Korevaar.
A memorial service was held Friday, Nov. 15, 2013, at 1 p.m. at Smith Funeral Home Chapel in Sunnyside.
Memorials may be made in care of the American Cancer Society Relay for Life Yakima.


John Walker

July 2nd, 1941 - March 19th, 2012


John Wurth Walker, 70, a Gladstone, Ore. resident, passed away of natural causes on Monday, March 19, 2012, at his home.

John was born July 2, 1941 in Chico, Calif. to James and Helen Walker.

He was raised in Sunnyside and was salutatorian of his graduating class at Sunnyside High School.

He ran track in high school and was awarded with several Washington state track records. Following school, John joined the U.S. Army National Guard and the U.S. Army Reserves.

He loved music and concerts and was a band drum major during his time with the guard.

John worked as a surveyor for the city of Portland for many years and then drove truck until retirement. Particularly in his retirement, John loved working on his collection of Datsun Z cars.

John is survived by his son, Brian Walker of Sandy; Ore.; daughter, Heather (Carey) (Walker) Allison of Tigard, Ore.; brother, Victor (Dolores) Walker of Walla Walla; sister, Sharon Walker of Hillsboro, Ore.; sister-in-law, Joanne Walker of Hillsboro of Hillsboro, Ore and two grandsons, Joshua and Ryan Allison of Tigard, Ore.

He was preceded in death by his parents, James and Helen Walker; and brother, Daniel Walker.

No formal services are planned at this time.

John will be interred beside family at Tahoma Cemetery in Yakima.

On-line condolences may be made at

Crown Memorial Center in Tualatin, Ore. is in charge of arrangements.